I am going to try and get this project going by blogging about it. I’m going to tell you want I am up to, and what I achieve a little bit at a time. And hopefully that will keep me building the project, one bit at a time.
Anyway, in the spirit of that; here is the current situation.
I re-wrote all the UI stuff and putting it all back has been a pain in the ass – and currently because I can’t navigate around the game properly, I tend not to do it I think. Slowly the UI functionality has been coming back and tonight I fixed the last remaining shortcut keys bug, which means that the keyboard is now working correctly. More importatnly that means that I can move around the views using just the cursor keys. So that was today’s task done.
The other day I finalised the box drawing code. Boxes look like this image on the right… The two gargoyle things on the edges are optional… both, none, left, or right. This now means that I can start work on all the popup windows that come up during the game.
The panel is almost finished apart from this part on the left side of it. There are a few bits of dynamic information to add to that part.
- There is the horse head to show that you are ‘on horseback’.
- The eye for ‘Character Info’.
- A weapon to show you are ‘in battle for example: the best survival knife‘.
- The sun arc shows the time of day.
- The diamond is your health.
- A man gauge to show warriors.
- A horse guage to show riders.
- The day night button.
- The current character portrait.
The left hand part of the panel is now my next mini task…Lords of Midnight, Doomdark’s Revenge, The Midnight Engine